Without our nation's Veterans, America wouldn't be the great nation it is today. Our youth deserve to learn about our rich history, traditions, and the role of our Veterans in creating and shaping America.
The VFW Teacher-of-the-Year award contest recognizes three exceptional teachers for their outstanding commitment to teaching Americanism and patriotism to their students. Each year, a certified/licensed Elementary, Middle School, and High School Teacher whose curriculum focuses on America’s history, traditions, Americanism, civic responsibility, flag etiquette, and patriotism can be nominated for the Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher Award.
VFW Post 12002 is proud to support this program each year. In addition to an official Certificate of Recognition, the winning Teacher in each of the three categories also receives a $200 honorarium from the Post and is entered in the State competition.
[ The total cost of last year's program was underwritten by an educational grant
from Operation Santa Charities, Inc., a Georgia-based Charity ]
The Department of Georgia gives cash prizes to the State winner in each category and hosts them and their families at the State Convention in Macon in June.
At the National level, the winners receive ...
- A $1,000 cash award for Professional Development expenses
- A $1,000 cash award for their School
- Two commemorative Plaques - one for the Teacher, the other for their School
- An all-expenses-paid trip to attend a VFW conference to receive their award
How to Enter
1. Review the Rules and Eligibility Requirements
3. Prepare the following documents (5 page maximum) :
References, Recommendation Letters, News Articles [Optional]
Head-and-Shoulder Photo [Required for State Winners]
3. Submit your Entry Form and supporting documentation to Post 12002's Program Chairman
Jim Swain 770-500-3074 email@example.com
[ The deadline for submitting entries to the Post is October 31, 2023 ]
Click here to learn about the VFW's Essay Contests for Middle School and High School students.